Sunday, December 21, 2008

Count on God! (Psalm 89)

Cornerstone Mission Church, Sunday Sermon December 21, 2008

I’ve been thinking a lot about keeping promises this past week and this led me to think about my childhood. Growing up I never really knew what my dad did for living. All I knew was that he worked for different companies and he also traveled a lot. That was good enough for me. But, there was something I felt very strongly about. Maybe it was being a youngest child thing; I thought that it would be really cool if my dad would bring home something special just for me. So, before he left for his work in the morning, or before he left for his business travels, I would stop him and ask him if he would get something for me; I can’t remember what I asked from him… perhaps toys like transformers kits, battle ships, microscope, things that boys would enjoy. But, most of the time, it didn’t have to be anything specific; I just wanted him to remember me and bring home something special for me. That’s what I really wanted, special gifts from dad.

Whenever I asked him to remember me and bring home something special, he never failed to promise to do so. But the problem was that my dad too easily forgot his promises to me. I kept asking him thinking that if I asked him enough, he would eventually remember me and get me something special. But, at some point, I stopped asking him because I stopped expecting, stopped hoping… because I stopped trusting his promises.

As I thought about my dad’s broken promises, I began thinking about my own promises to my kids. And, God highlighted a very specific promise I’ve made to Mikayla. I’ve always thought that it would be really cool if I could have daddy and daughter date, nothing special, but just a time alone with each of my girls. Few months back I took Abby out for a breakfast at Egg Factory and it was fabulous. Well, the next in line was Mikayla. But, things got busy and I keep postponing it. And, Mikayla kept on asking when I was going to taker her out for daddy and daughter date. I would say to her something like, “Soon, I will take you out soon.” But, I didn’t keep my promise. And, guess what? Just like how I stopped asking my dad for something special from him, Mikayla stopped asking me about our date. Man, the very thing that I didn’t like about my dad, here I was doing exactly the same thing. I asked her on Friday during dinner about how she used to ask about our daddy daughter date, but she stopped asking me about it. I asked her why she stopped asking me about it. Her response was, “Well, I didn’t think it was going to happen.” Man! It hurt! She gave up on me because I didn’t keep my promise to her, because I kept on forgetting.

Think of your relationship with your dads. Have you stopped asking him because you’ve stopped expecting from him, you’ve given up on him to keep his promises to you? Perhaps, you internalized it by saying to yourself that it is your fault. Or, you are really angry and bitter about it. How about your relationships with others? Have others stopped asking you because they’ve stopped expecting from you because your tendency to forget and not carry through your promises to them?

Now, when we make promises to others and others make promises to us, I would like to think that our intention is to keep our promises. But, what I realize is that all the good intention in the world does no good if it is not carried out. Intention with no action is nothing but an empty promise that does nothing but hurts people.

Now, think about your relationship with God. Have you stopped asking him earnestly? Have you stopped expecting from him? Do you think of God as a faulty bow who doesn’t deliver what he has promised? Perhaps, self-loathingly you ask yourself, “Why should he pay attention to me? Why should he care for me? Well, I am nobody.”

What is wrong with our generations? Why are we so jaded about anyone keeping their promises, not alone keep our own promises? What does our current historical economic meltdown say about our generations? It speaks to deeply cowardly, deceptive, and defective human hearts that cannot think and feel beyond themselves. It speaks to the lack of promise keepers, who take their own words very seriously because they take God seriously. Are you a promise keeper? Do you stand out as dependable, trustworthy, promise fulfilling person when everyone else falter around you? Are you a countercultural promise keeper no matter how hard it gets?

Psalm 89 speaks powerfully to the jaded generations who cannot fathom people who keep their promises. The psalm is going to show you how you can stand out as counterculturally dependable and trustworthy people when you count on God!

1. Count on God because he is loving, faithful, powerful as our King

When you read through Psalm 89 over and over again, you cannot fail to notice how deeply the psalmist known as Ethan the Ezrahite counts on God.

Right off the bat, I am blown away by the way the psalmist counts on God. Listen to his declaration from verse 1 and 2; to say, “I will,” speaks to Ethan’s determination. This is what he is going to do and nothing’s going to stop him. Verse 1, “I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.” Why sing of the Lord’s love? Why make his faithfulness known? Why should you count on God at all? Verse 2 tells why. It is because God’s love stands firm forever and he established his faithfulness in heaven itself.” God’s love is never fickle, but is constant and rock-solidly dependable. His faithfulness isn’t the stuff of earthly qualities, but of heavenly quality that you can always count on.

V.5 -8, he asks a question repeatedly, “Who is like the Lord? Who is like you?” The heaves praise him (v. 5), the council of the holy ones (v. 7), the who’s who of the saints fear him, for he is incomparable (v. 6), he is most awesome (v. 7), he is mighty (v. 8).

Talking about power, he peppers v. 9-13 with image of his great power. Surging sea with waves mounting up which symbolizes crazy chaos beyond control like the economic meltdown domino has nothing on God; God rules and he calms it (v. 9). Rahab, the mythical monster of the deep is crushed and slayed by God (v. 10). As the Creator, he claims the heavens, the earth and all that is in it, the north and the south as his possession, his creation; even the inanimate mountains tall and short alike sing for you at his name (v. 11-12). His arm, his hand, his right hand, powerful, strong, and exalted (v. 13)! Righteousness and justice define his authority, his throne (v. 14). But, he dispenses righteousness and justice by carrying them out in love and faithfulness. Verse 18 tells us to count on God because he is our shield and our king!

2. Count on God because of his promise to David

Verse 19 through verse 37 speaks to God’s covenant with David, his promise to David. For the psalmist this was one of the greatest sources of his confidence in God.

God calls David his warrior with God given strength (V. 19), my servant and his anointed one (v. 20). God’s going to sustain him and strengthen him. And, for this reason, the anointed David will subject his enemy (v. 22). God’s going to crush and strike down David’s foes (v. 22). God’s faithful love will be with David and God’s going to give him strength… that is what the image of exalting horn means in v. 24. God affirms his eternal love and his unfailing covenant, his promise with David (v. 28). God’s everlasting promise to David is that he is going to establish David’s throne as long as the heavens endure (v. 29).

V. 30-37, God reaffirms his commitment to ensure, to establish David’s throne firmly, his line of posterity and kingship to continue forever even in the cases of David’s sons forsaking God and all that God stood for. God promised to decisively to deal with the sins of the bad kings after David. You read Kings and Chronicles and you realize the depth of apostasy and rebellion by the sons of David. Yet, God says in v. 33, “but I will not take my love from him nor will I ever betray my faithfulness.” There it is again, God’s enduring love and his everlasting faithfulness. If there was ever question about what God was going to do with the line of David, God says in v. 36-38, “his line will continue forever and his throne endure before me like the sun; it will be established forever like the moon, the faithful witness in the sky.”

To count on God meant trusting God’s intention, his promise to carry out his plan to continue the line of David.

3. Count on God through lament

To count on God’s intention to carry out his promise is all good except when things don’t look like God is doing what he said he would do. It’s like when the promises by us and by others taste like rotten fruits.

When your reality seems to betray the promises from God what do you do? V. 39 to 51 speak to the reality that doesn’t match with what God had promised in the past. The reality as the palmist perceived was dark and gloomy and destructive. Where did the confidence that Ethan count on God? How can you keep counting on God when the realty casts doubts on God’s promises?

The test of faith is in those crucible moments that shake the core of what you thought was your secure trust in God.

It is not possible to pinpoint the exact circumstance that the psalmist was in, but it was pretty bad. Perhaps, it was during the time of last two kings of Judah in the awake of Babylonian exile. Or, perhaps it was during the time of exile. Whatever was the circumstance that the psalmist was in it was bad enough to shake his faith in God.

All that was said about God’s eternal love, his faithfulness, his power, his covenant promise to continue the line of David, it all felt irrelevant to the psalmist because the current realty seemed to betray God’s promise. God promised for enduring line of David, but the kingdom of Judah collapsed and the king of Judah was no longer, but an exile among many. What was the psalmist to do?

Let me tell you what the psalmist did. Ethan chose to lament. To lament is to express grief, pain. It is about being honest. It is opposite of stuffing it in, pretending everything is fine when it is not, putting smiles on your face when your heart is stricken with disappointments and hurts. To lament is to admit your pain, your disappointment, your confusion to God. And, this is what Ethan chose to do.

God said he would establish the line of David forever but now it was as though God was rejecting, spurning, getting angry with David and his posterity (v. 38). It was as though God was renouncing his covenant with David when psalmist witnessed how David’s throne got defiled by the invasion, how the walls of Jerusalem and the strongholds crumbled to ruins in the hands of the enemies, how the kingdom of David was plundered away. No longer commanding any respect, the line of David was scorned by the neighbors. Ethan is grief; he is hurt! And, he is letting God know he is hurting! ‘God, it appears as though you are exalting the right hand of David’s foes and make them rejoice over the demise of David’s line. It is as though you render the sword of David powerless and you withdraw your support for him in battle. You promised to establish his throne forever, but now it appears as though you are putting an end to it. You set David upon his throne, now it looks like you cast it to the ground. I don’t get it! Why does it feel like you are hiding yourself forever? Why is that all I feel now is your wrath burning like fire?’

Do you know what it is like to be honest with God like this? Why is that do we put on a smile on our face when pain is deep? Is it because we think that God cannot take the heat from us, that somehow we might hurt God? Is it because somehow we got this idea that being brutally honest with God is not what Christians do?

It is so important to you know that God can take your lament, he can handle your grief, pain, anger. He says bring it on whatever is that you have in you that has been eating inside of you. Don’t play nice Christian! God isn’t impressed when you put up fake smiles when it is time to express your hurts! Don’t stuff it in, but express to God! God wants you to know that he wants to hear you.

If you don’t choose to lament, whatever is inside of you will get rotten and it is going to poison your thinking, your relationship with people, but most importantly it is going to position your relationship with God. Instead of drawing near to God, you are going to stray away from him if you don’t choose to express your feeling honestly to him.

4. Count on God through lament that acts on truth

Now, to think lament as simply dumping your bad feelings on God and nothing more is not accurate. If lament was simply unloading your toxic feelings to God and nothing more, it won’t help you to deal with the real issues that have caused such feelings in the first place.

Ethan began and carried his psalm with his heartfelt trust, his deep confidence in God’s love, faithfulness, his power, righteousness and justice. But, v. 38, the tone changes completely from joyful confidence to the tone of doubts, pain, confusion… But, the thing about this psalm is there is no relief to the miserable circumstances. Ethan’s lament created this incredible tension between God’s promises and apparent reality of God’s unfulfilled promises. And, there is no resolution. There is no easy answer to the crisis of faith! The tension continues on.

So, from circumstantial point of view, nothing has changed. The line of David appears to have ended; the throne of David no more. No more kings in Judah, no more nation of Israel. Exile continues. Jerusalem remains in ruin. Nothing changed in the course of this psalm when you look at from circumstantial point of view.

But, look how Ethan ends his psalm in v. 52, “Praise be to the Lord forever! Amen and Amen.” Tension remains between God’s promises and his unfulfilled promises, problems remain. But, what Ethan chose to do is to praise God.

Again, I remind you that Ethan did not skip the lament part. He honestly expressed how he felt about the situation. And, God heard him. Nothing changed circumstantially, but radical adjustment took place in his heart when he took his heart to God and wrestle with him. God renewed his faith in him.

What I see is here how lamenting empowered Ethan to trust God again. He moved from being overwhelmed by feelings ungrounded in truth to now being centered, being grounded in the truth of who God is. It happened because he became honest with
God. It happened because he recounted God’s promises.

When you put together the truth about God and being honest before God what you get is faith that is purified through fire.

Conclusion

It has past months since I promised to Mikayla to have a daddy and daughter breakfast with her. This week God’s has convicted me about this. I don’t want to follow the footsteps of my dad who was terrible at keeping his end up. When my children grow old and when it is time for me to say goodbye, I want them to remember me as a father who loved them, who was faithful, who kept his word. It is not good enough to have mere good intention. All the good intention in the world would do no good if it is not back up by action. All my good intention to spend time with my girls as their daddy will not mean anything if I don’t follow through. I can blame it on forgetfulness. But, forgetfulness only shows that I don’t care enough. Caring enough is remembering!

So, I remembered and Saturday morning I took Mikayla to Panera. We had a fabulous time. Lyn was gracious to make it possible for me to keep my promise to Mikayla. If I as a mere human dad can remember my promise to my child and get my acts together to keep my promise to my girl, how much better would our heavenly Father be at keeping his promises?

Although Psalm 89 gives no resolution to the tension between God’s promise and delay in his fulfillment, we as a reading who lives now knows that God has fulfilled his promise to David. The throne of David, the line of David didn’t end in exile. Just in four days, we will celebrate the birthday of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, a descendant of David, who carries the line of David now as the exalted King, Savior.

No comments: