Monday, September 4, 2006

Psalm 45:11, "The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord."

This morning's scriptural reflection led me to Psalm 45. I was drawn to the verse 11, "The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord."

C. S. Lewis said about this psalm in Reflections on the Psalms,

"The birth of Christ is the arrival of the great warrior and the great king. Also of the Lover, the Bridegroom, whose beauty surpasses that of man. But not only the Bridegroom as the lover, the desired; the Bridegroom also who makes fruitful, the Father of children still to be begotten and born" (Reflections on the Psalms, p. 130).

Last Saturday, I attended Sam's wedding. He and his bride Youngshin both radiated the glow of happiness and joy. You should have seen them on the dancing floor for their first dance as a married couple. They danced as though there was nobody around them. They were in the moment. Their eyes never left each other. Youngshin, the bride's radiating smile gave it away; Sam's devotion gave it away... they were in love. The bride knew she was beautiful. Sam was enthralled by her beauty. My wife and I looked at each other and smiled remembering our moments!

I am constantly surrounded by my beautiful wife and our three beautiful daughters. I too am enthralled by their beauty, not just when they are adorned with pretty clothes, or anything else. But, like now seeing my wife and my children with their messy hair just woken up from sleep. They are beautiful. My appreciation of their beauty is driven by my deep love for them.

To think that Jesus loves his church, us in this way is beyond me...

Well, my reflection needs to stop for now... my beloved and beautiful wife and children are up.. it is time to make some pancakes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth said...

I don't know how long ago you wrote this, but it is beautiful and encouraging to me as a Christian woman. Keep loving your family as this - as Christ loved the church. It will be such an example to others, as it has been to me today!

Blessings.

Unknown said...

"Ditto!" to the other Elizabeth's comments.

Bless you and you family and all your pancakes!!